Poet Bill Brown will discuss his Poetry in this Sunday salon.
HLA's Young Writers Contest
The 46th annual HLA-sponsored Young Writers Contest, open to all students in public and private schools in Madison County, encourages literary creativity among elementary, middle and high school youth. Contest winners in each age group are recognized with cash awards and publication of their poems and short stories. Public radio station WLRH 89.3 FM airs the first place winners on Sundial Writers Corner during the Morning Blend program.
2014 Annual Young Writers Contest
The contest opens this year on January 15, 2014, with final submissions due March 24, 2014. A hard copy of the official rules can be downloaded here.
Who May Enter:
All students in Huntsville, Madison and Madison County public and private schools are eligible.
When to Enter:
The Forty-sixth Annual Young Writers Contest opens on January 15, 2014. Final entries must be postmarked by March 24, 2014.
Junior Poetry - Grades 6, 7, 8. No more than 300 words.
Junior Short Story - Grades 6, 7, 8. Minimum 800 words, Maximum 2,000 words.
Upper Elementary Poetry - Grades 3, 4, 5. No more than 300 words.
Lower Elementary Poetry - Grades 1, 2. No more than 300 words.
Senior Short Story and Senior Poetry Divisions: Grades 9, 10, 11, 12
This Division is now the Dorothy Diemer Hendry Award for Literary Achievement. For information about the DDH Awards please click here, visit the Ardent Writer Press website, ardentwriterpress.com, or email Steve Gierhart at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prizes will be awarded to first, second, and third place winners and medalions to the honorable mentions in each division. Winners in each of the categories will receive recognition plaques and the following monetary prizes:
Lower Elementary, Upper Elementary, Junior Poetry and Junior Short Story:
First Place: $100
Second Place: $60
Third Place: $40
Senior Poetry and Senior Short Story:
First Place: $500
Second Place: $250
Third Place: $100
Senior Art Works:
First Place: $200
Second Place: $100
Third Place: $50
All winners, their parents, teachers and the public are invited to attend the HLA 2014 Awards Ceremony on May 4, 2014, 2 p.m., at UAHuntsville, Chan Auditorium, Huntsville, AL. Call 256-824-6321 or 256-536-2683 for directions. A Reception will follow.
Contest Rules for Submitting Entries:
- All entries must be the original work of the individual student with only general constructive assistance from the teacher. Plagiarism or cheating has not been and will not be tolerated by the Young Writers Contest Committee and judges. Teachers and parents, please emphasize the importance of original creations.
- Entries must NOT have been previously published elsewhere, including school newspapers and magazines, and must NOT have previously received recognition in another contest. An entry must NOT be sent simultaneously to the Young Writers Contest and to any other contest or publication except to the student’s own school magazine or other school or PTA sponsored contest.
- Each entry must be typewritten or neatly and legibly hand written, using only one side of standard size paper. Short stories must be double-spaced; if typewritten, must use font size no less than 10-point or larger than 12-point.
- The author’s name must not appear on the manuscript! The anonymous manuscript must be accompanied by a 3 x 5 index card attached by a paper clip containing the following: name, address, city, zip code, telephone number, grade, teacher (full name if possible), school, school telephone number, entry category, title of entry.
- All entries must have a title. Titles such as “Untitled,” are not acceptable.
- Each student may submit no more than one entry per category.
- Children of judges may not enter the contest under the same category in which the parent is judging.
- The Young Writers Contest shall not be judged by any teacher employed in the city, county, or private schools where the contest is held.
- Entries must be mailed as follows:
Lower Elementary Poetry:
Marjorie Masterson – 256-682-4706
1104 Woodmont Avenue
Huntsville, AL 35801
Upper Elementary Poetry:
Marion Conover – 256-539-6222
1706 Greenwyche Rd.
Huntsville, AL 35801
Dr. Carol Ashburn Roach – 256-776-0037
1662 Old Highway 431 South
Owens Cross Roads, AL 35763
Junior Short Story:
Linda Fletcher – 256-882-3463
1207 Argent Circle
Huntsville, AL 35803
- Any entry not correctly prepared (anonymous manuscript with attached index card furnishing ALL required information) will NOT be judged.
- All entries become the property of the Huntsville Literary Association. None can be returned. Students should retain a copy of their entries.
For more information, please call Mari Zimmerman (256)752-5112.
Previous Contest Winners:
Listings of previous winners are available from the drop-down box.
Entries not correctly prepared (anonymous manuscript with attached index card furnishing ALL required information) will NOT be judged.
All entries become the property of the Huntsville Literary Association. None can be returned. Students should retain a copy of their entries.